As Juliette Hogan continues to grow, so too, does our team. From JH Stylist to Projects and Sustainability Manager, we caught up with Margeaux, to discuss her new role after five years of being a part of the JH team.
TELL US 3 INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF...
1. I have two dogs that my life revolves around - Sesame and Peach. They are Finish x Japanese Spitz, and little crazy, fluffy foxes!
2. I found success through tinder.
3. I have a Bachelor of Science in Environmental and Development studies, that I thought I would never use - yet here I am!
TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOUR TIME AT JULIETTE HOGAN & HOW YOU CAME TO THIS ROLE...
Next week will be my 5th anniversary working at Juliette Hogan, so it has been quite the journey for me. Over the years I have developed from JH Stylist in Britomart, to Newmarket Store Manager, to Retail Training & Support, to Training and Projects Manager, to the role I am in today - Projects and Sustainability Manager.
Projects and Sustainability manager is a multifaceted role that brings together managing company projects big or small and driving our sustainability strategy. The two sides of my role work together synergistically, with the sustainability role being about a continuous cycle of improvement through sustainability focussed initiatives and projects.
WHAT IS YOUR NUMBER 1 SUSTAINABILITY TIP AND WHY?
It is really easy to feel a bit helpless or lost in the face of the climate crisis. I think its important to take the time to understand the social and environmental impacts of the actions you take and the businesses you support. Slow down, do your research, and be mindful and curious about where you are investing your time and money.
Another great place to start is the Good Life Goals which provide a list of actions to empower individuals to work towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
WHAT ARE YOU MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO AS THE SUSTAINABILITY MANAGER?
What excites me most about the role is creating meaningful change at JH, and driving opportunities for learning - for myself, the team, and our customers. I am looking forward to being able to challenge myself and the business with ambitious objectives and goals.
If you have read our 2022 Sustainability Progress Report, you would have seen that we have completed our baseline assessment for B Corp. This is just the first step of a key company objective for the next 12-14 months - to become B Corp certified by 2025. This is a huge piece of work that will provide us with a framework on how we can improve and operate sustainably as a business.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SUSTAINABILITY INSIGHTS?
- THINGS YOU DO, APPS, CHARITIES IN AUCKLAND/NEW ZEALAND, INITIATIVES, SUSTAINABLE BUSINESSES TO SUPPORT ETC.
1. I've been a vegetarian for around 15 years. I originally started for animal welfare reasons, however, being vegetarian also helps with the reduction in climate impact and emissions. Emissions from the typical diet could drop by 7% by eating vegetables instead of meat for one meal a week.
2. I've recently been introduced to a Wellington-based perfumery - Abel Odor. They make plant-based, biodegradable perfumes made of essential oils with certified organic, food grade grain alcohol as their base. They have opened my eyes to the lack of transparency in the fragrance industry.
3. I highly recommend following the Instagram pages @environment and @impact. While they are USA-centric, their content is educational, easy to digest and non-biased.
4. I've recently joined Good Bitches Baking, to contribute to the work they do for local NZ communities. My first bake/delivery won't be until the new year, but I am looking forward to being able to support them.